What is it?
There are about 166 scholarships available for students of all nationalities with courses ranging from Masters Leading to PhD and PhD degree courses offered at different universities in Canada. The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship program is basically designed to attract and retain academically educated young professionals.
The scholarships are funded and valued at $50,000 per year for three years during doctoral studies.
What are the eligibility requirements?
● Citizenship. The candidates should be a Canadian Citizen or permanent residents of Canada or Foreign citizens.
● Areas of research. The programs offered are in the areas of Health research, Natural sciences and/or engineering research, Social sciences and humanities research.
Other Requirements: (Canadian universities require IELTS / TOEFL for admission, so it is important that you have done it prior to applying)
● Must be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota.
● Must be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program like: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has demonstrated significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
● Must intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral studies and research at the nominating institution. Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
● Must have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last 2 years of full-time study or equivalent.
● Must not hold, or have held a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree
What are the important points for scholarship?
● To get in touch with the Canadian institution regarding MS leading to PhD and PhD, find a relevant professor in the university.
● Do not ask for acceptance letters. All you need is the consent of a professor which he/she will send you through email.
How to apply?
1. You need to apply in Canadian Universities that have quota/seats of Vanier.
2. Every university has its own deadline, that is why you need to check with the university you are applying at.
3. You can only apply to one university for Vanier. The university will evaluate your profile and nominate you to Vanier as their candidate should they find you qualified.
4. The Vanier will make the final selection.
How to complete the application?
1. Confirm eligibility
2. Contact your desired nominating institution
3. Inform the faculty of graduate studies at your selected institution regarding your intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program.
4. Register for Canadian Common CV (CCV) and ResearchNet accounts
5. Create a CCV (Vanier-Banting Academic Template) and link it to your ResearchNet application.
6. Start a ResearchNew application
7. Identify your area of research
● The deadline for the nominating institutions is on 06 November 2019 (20:00 EST). Note that the internal deadline of the universities varies, so you have to follow the internal deadline of the university you want to apply to.