What is it?
The Ontario Trillium Scholarships (OTS) program will help the best doctoral students from around the world to study in Ontario. Each OTS is worth $40,000 annually and is renewable for a maximum of four years. Ontario universities will be responsible for selecting and awarding the OTS to international PhD students based on merit and program criteria.
What are the eligibility requirements?
● be an international student;
● be intending to pursue a full-time graduate study at an eligible Ontario university at the doctoral level;
● must have submitted a complete admission package before;
● must have achieved an average of at least 8.0/10 (A-) in each of the two years of full-time study prior;
● not be intending to enroll in a qualifying or make-up year;
● not be currently studying at an Ontario post-secondary institution at the undergraduate or graduate level, and;
● not have concurrently accepted a scholarship or fellowship from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), or the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), or be in receipt of an Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) or Queen Elizabeth II – Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (QEII-GSST) award.
Important note. A recipient may continue to hold the Trillium should he/she become a permanent resident of Canada during the tenure of the award.
How to Apply
Graduate Program Responsibility
● Graduate programs are encouraged to contact eligible and qualified candidates for nomination.
● Note: students cannot apply directly to FGS. They must be nominated by their Graduate Program.
● Application form
● Letter of nomination (supplied by the graduate program director)
● Copy of admissions file including a statement of interest, two reference letters and all transcripts (supplied by graduate program office), and,
● An up-to-date CV outlining past research contributions, publications, awards, and other accomplishments, if such information is not included in the admissions file.
Note: Inquire at your preferred graduate school for the complete documentation required
Interrupting the Scholarship
When interruption of the scholarship is applicable to some universities:
● A request for an interruption of a Trillium must be accompanied by an approved leave of absence request to SGPS. A leave of absence may be granted to a maximum of 3 terms or 12 months.
● The interruption of a Trillium must not exceed, on any one occasion, more than 12 consecutive months, for reasons including: