What is it?
Canada has a lot of scholarships to offer to everyone. And it might be one of the most coveted destinations for international students too. We have rounded up a selection of scholarships provided by the Canadian government, individual Canadian universities, and other organizations.
Canadian government scholarships
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships. Canadian government scholarships and fellowships offered to international students undertaking postgraduate study within the natural and social sciences or health research.
- Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s Program. Scholarships for Canadian students enrolled on a master’s degree or PhD at a (CGS-M allocated) university in Canada.
- IDRC Research Awards. Canadian government scholarships for students from developing countries to undertake a master’s or doctoral-level research degree at a recognized Canadian university.
- NSERC Postgraduate scholarships. Various Canadian government scholarships, grants and awards available to the outstanding students undertaking study in the natural sciences or engineering at an accredited Canadian university. Funded by the NSERC.
- Organization of American States (OAS) Academic Scholarship Program. Canadian government scholarships from the Organization of American States (OAS), open to graduate students from any OAS member state (including selected countries in Latin America and the Caribbean islands).
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program. Canadian government scholarships available to doctoral students internationally, to study in Canada at a participating university.
To get more information on Canadian government scholarships and for more external funding opportunities, visit the Government of Canada’s scholarship homepage or you may contact the Canadian Ministry of Education in your home country.
None-governmental scholarships to study in Canada
- Anne Vallee Ecological Fund. Scholarships for international students undertaking animal research at the doctoral level at an accredited Canadian university in Quebec or British Columbia.
- Canada Memorial Scholarship. Full scholarships are available for British postgraduate students to study Full scholarships are available for British postgraduate students to study at any accredited Canadian higher education provider, covering tuition, airfares, accommodation and more.
- Trudeau Scholarships and Fellowships. The Trudeau Foundation offers a number of scholarships, fellowships, and mentorships to international students at doctoral level undertaking study in Canada at selected institutions.
University-specific scholarships to study in Canada
- Queen’s University International Scholarships. A number of scholarships for international students to study in Canada at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario. Some awards are solely open to students from India, Pakistan and the US.
- Western University International President’s Entrance Scholarships. Various Canadian scholarships offered to international students undertaking study at Western University.
- Dalhousie University Scholarships. Scholarships for current and prospective international/domestic students of all levels studying at Dalhousie University in Halifax.
To get more information regarding funding opportunities to study in Canada, contact your local Canadian embassy.
Despite what it may seem, education abroad is not reserved just for those with a lot of money. Canada, like many countries, welcomes international students from all backgrounds so it offers many scholarships, both through the government and the institutions themselves. You must show academic excellence as well as strong leadership skills be it on your Masteral or Doctoral program and be nominated by your institution. Just keep in mind that there are many universities and colleges across Canada that offer various entrance scholarships to Canadians and international students.