What is it?
Western’s Admission Scholarships are automatically awarded upon admission to Western. No application is required to be considered for these scholarships.
In order to be eligible for an admission scholarship, a student must apply for admission directly from secondary school to Western’s main campus for full-time first-year studies. International students are eligible to be considered for the Western Admission Scholarships. Eligibility is based on successful completion of the secondary school diploma and on the student’s final admission average, including prerequisite courses, as calculated by Western for the program to which the student has confirmed acceptance. Western will determine averages for applicants who are not studying in a Canadian secondary school curriculum based on:
curriculum, grading practices, and grading scale interpretation.
● International President’s Entrance Scholarships. As part of the National Scholarship Program, three scholarships worth $50,000 each are available to exceptional international students. Selection is based on outstanding academic performance, creative and innovative thought, and significant achievement in extracurricular activities. Students must complete a National Scholarship application which includes an essay and a nomination from their school. The application is available in mid-November.
● Western Admission Scholarship (unlimited). Final admission average required: 90.0% to 91.9%. Value: Total of $2,500. $1,500 in first year, plus $1,000 for optional study abroad experience.
● Western Scholarship of Distinction (unlimited). Final admission average required: 92.0% to 100.0%. Value: Total of $3,500. $2,500 in first year, plus $1,000 for optional study abroad experience.
● Western Scholarship of Excellence. 250 scholarships recognizing outstanding achievement are awarded based on the top high school admission averages. Value: Total of $8,000. $6,000 in first year, plus $2,000 for an optional study abroad experience. (These cannot be combined with another Western admission scholarship.)
● Entrance Scholarships for International Students: As is the case for domestic students, Western offers a group of entrance scholarships available only to international students who are beginning full-time, first-year studies at Western’s main campus. In order to be considered for our pool of entrance scholarships for international students, a complete admission application submitted through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC), and all supporting documentation must be received by Western by March 15th. Recipient selection for these international student entrance scholarships will be made from the eligible candidates who have completed the admission application process by the March 15th deadline, so that scholarship recipients can be notified prior to arriving at Western. Please be aware that these international student entrance scholarships can be awarded in combination with a Western Admission Scholarship or may replace a Western Admission Scholarship.
● Beyond First Year: Scholarships for Upper Year Students. After international students complete one year of study at Western, they become eligible for In-Course Scholarships and Awards, which are awarded based on previous performance in classes at Western and current registration.
● Other Scholarships for International Students. A number of other bursaries and awards are designated specifically for international students. These awards range in value and include scholarships based on a demonstrated need, as well as awards connected to specific countries of origin. To explore these awards, please visit the Office of the Registrar Student Awards database and enter “International Students” in the search bar.